Re: [XFree86] nvidia quadro 280: cannot start x SOLVED

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:58:58PM -0400, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, praveen kallakuri wrote:
>
> > Mark Vojkovich wrote:

> > >   You seem to have a problem with your XFree86 installation.  You
> > > have version 4.3, yet at least one of your XFree86 modules (the
> > > one it's crashing on) is from 4.2.
> > >
> > > (II) Module pcidata: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> > >         compiled for 4.2.0, module version = 0.1.0
> > >         ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
> > >

> > doesn't that happen sometimes? i mean i did run across modules that
> > belonged to prev versions but still included because they could work. in
>
>    I don't think so.  If you build XFree86 4.3 you get 4.3 modules.
> Mixing modules usually works, but not always.  Pcidata is one of
> those modules that should get upgraded with each new server.
>
> > any case, i guess what you are asking me to do is run a fresh install of
> > xf4.3. i was planning to do that... basically i will move /etc/X11R6 and
> > /etc/X11 and reinstall x. hope that will work.
>
>    I think all you need to do is remove the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules
> directory and reinstall.  Note you'll need to reinstall NVIDIA's
> binary drivers after upgrading XFree86, as XFree86 will blow away
> NVIDIA's OpenGL libraries.
>

> 		Mark.

i have my x-windows workig now. like you said mark, i reinstalled 4.3
having renamed /usr/X11. after that i reinstalled nvidia drivers and then
had some trouble with the mouse. i finally figured out that i had to point
to /dev/psaux.

thanks

-praveen