Re: [XFree86] display problems: laptop, NVIDIA GeForce440Go, XFree 4.3.0

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Mark Vojkovich <mvojkovi@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> >

> >> I am experiencing two problems with the display on my laptop.
> >>
> >> 1) Most seriously, when the X server is in control, the display out
> >>    the external video port and/or the docking interface is total
> >>    garbage: a static pattern of vertical blue and green lines.  The
> >>    external video works fine in VGA text mode.
> >
> >    The "nv" driver that comes with XFree86 does not support
> > hotkey switching.  It will only work on the display that it
> > booted to.  Anything working beyond that is accidental.
>
> Hotkey switching isn't involved; this happens even when the BIOS is
> set to "display the same thing on both the LCD and the external port"
> and then the X server is started.

   The "nv" driver can only drive one display.  You can pick which
one via the CrtcNumber option described in the nv man page.  Another
restriction is, if the one you pick is a digital flat panel, it
has to be one that the text mode came up on.  That is because the
"nv" driver doesn't know how to fully initialize a panel that the
bios hasn't already initialized.  In the case where you got a text
text mode on both.  You should have the option of running one or the
other via the CrtcNumber option, but behavior of the unused one is
undefined (hopefully it's just blank.  It's not blank?).

> >    This is expected behavior.  The X-server doesn't know anything
> > about ACPI power management events and doesn't know when it needs
> > to clean up after them.  You might find that NVIDIA's binary drivers
> > work better in this regard, since they have a kernel module that
> > tries to deal with this somewhat.
>
> I'm using APM, not ACPI, but I can see how there might be the same
> problem.  Are there any future plans to improve this situation?

   If it's just APM, the server should respond to it and vt switch
for you as long as it's not disabled.  Ie, you don't have a message
in the /var/log/XFree86.0.log that looks like:

(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)

   I don't really know much about XFree86's APM implementation
but looking through the code, it seems like it vt switches away
before going into powersave mode and vt switches back after
coming out of it.  So, if whatever corruption there was can be
cleared up by vt switching away and back, I'd expect XFree86's
APM support to solve that problem.

			Mark.