Re: [XFree86] display problems: laptop, NVIDIA GeForce440Go, XFree 4.3.0

Mark Vojkovich <mvojkovi@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>

>> I am experiencing two problems with the display on my laptop.
>>
>> 1) Most seriously, when the X server is in control, the display out
>>    the external video port and/or the docking interface is total
>>    garbage: a static pattern of vertical blue and green lines.  The
>>    external video works fine in VGA text mode.
>
>    The "nv" driver that comes with XFree86 does not support
> hotkey switching.  It will only work on the display that it
> booted to.  Anything working beyond that is accidental.

Hotkey switching isn't involved; this happens even when the BIOS is
set to "display the same thing on both the LCD and the external port"
and then the X server is started.

>    This is expected behavior.  The X-server doesn't know anything
> about ACPI power management events and doesn't know when it needs
> to clean up after them.  You might find that NVIDIA's binary drivers
> work better in this regard, since they have a kernel module that
> tries to deal with this somewhat.

I'm using APM, not ACPI, but I can see how there might be the same
problem.  Are there any future plans to improve this situation?

zw