[XFree86] Logitech wheel mice and X

Hello,

I now have a fine assortment of mice which unbeknown to me all have `Logitech
inside'. The latest is a Trust 7 button cordless. This is somewhat
dissappointing since, to be blunt, Logitech wheel mice support in X appears
to be pants !!! The only model I have found that work is the M-S48. Can some
one tell me if this assumption is correct ? I don't really want to keep
spending money on mice which, while working extremely well with Windows, are
little more that cat play things with X. While X gets better and better with
each release why does the most basic UI device, the mouse, continue to
languish in the doldrums ? It is not as if there is a slight driver
discrepancy. xev shows absolutely nothing at all for any of the buttons
beyond 3. An HP protocol analyser and some mice would probably help but sadly
I have neither the equipment nor the programming expertise to help here or I
surely would. I have no idea either if any X developers read this list. I
have sadly given up on the idea of have a nice new chordless wheel mouse that
works with X and will just stick with my M-S48.

Living in hope that someone can help me with this problem I have a Dell
Inspiron 7000. I am very willing to help in any way. If there is someting I
can do to debug this or to supply data etc. please just let me know. I would
really like to get these mice working.

Thanks,
Owen