[XFree86] Xproblems with 3d acceleration, login screen

First time i've ever mailed this list, not sure what kind of list this one is...
oh well. here goes:

here's my story:
I have an ATI Radeon 7000 AGP card. I wanted to us it for 3d acceleration. From
everything I've seen online, this card is definitely supported. I downloaded
the DRI package awhile back, and just installed it recently. Installation
appeared to go well, but it did not work. I went through all the trouble
shooting pages, tried everything, still to no avail. One page suggested
re-linking one of the libraries. I tried it, but due to a stupid typo, I
deleted the wrong file (d'oh!). Not sure what to do, I thought it would be
easiest if I just went and intsalled the latest version of X. so I did this,
and now not only is my 3d card not accelerating (still!), my login screen is
all messed up. It used to simply have the Standard Greeter on a nice blue
background. Now I get the standard greeter on a grey crosshatched background,
with a console in the corner. When I to load my sessions (KDE or Gnome), I
instead get a window that gives me the choice to load the session in question,
delete it, or cancel. I can get around it by loading the failsafe session then
running kdestart or gnome-session, but as you can imagine, this is annoying.
I'm sure that a preference or config file somewhere got messed up, but I'm not
sure which and I'm not sure how to fix it.
does anyone know how to resolve this problem, and also possibly get my graphics
card working?

oh, Linux kernel is 2.4.20-20.9, Red Hat distribution.

thanks,
sol