Re: [XFree86] Can XFree read a new XF86Config file without restarting the server ?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Zampelli [utf-8] Stéphane wrote:

> I would like to know if it is possible to have Xfree reading its (new) config
> file (XF86Config) without restarting the server. Does a 'kill -s SIGHUP <pid
> of XFree86 exec> works ?
>
> In other words : do I have to restart XFree86 each time I change my XF86Config
   Yes.  Most of the things set in the XF86Config are things that cannot
be changed while the server is running because they are things that the
X11 specification doesn't allow to change during the server's life.

> ? This can be annoying when I only want to set the screnn in portrait mode
> (and if xrandr does not work for one reason or another).

   RANDR is an extension that was intended to extend X11 to support
changing the size of the root window while the server is running, however,
only the resize part of that was implemented.  The rotation part was
not.

			Mark.