Re: [XFree86] Never realized this is an open list

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, William Gallafent wrote:

> Subject: Re: [XFree86] Never realized this is an open list
>
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, jayjwa wrote:

> > Maybe a new forum/method of posting
> > messages would be a good idea. Has anyone thought about php bulletin board?

> This is an extremely bad idea. I, like doubtless many others, prefer to use my
> email client to write email, rather than someone else's idea of a good user
> interface for messaging. Forms in a web browser are simply not the right
> interface for a discussion list.

PHP BB is a very popular format, used by business and individuals alike to
discuss all kinds of topics. It's feature rich, and supports many, many
things a standard mailing list could never. People seem to be against web
browsers, and don't wish to use them for anything but viewing a plain,
staight-forward webpage. If you've used a form such as PHP BB, you'll see
it's not that bad at all! Millions of people can't be wrong, check out a
good, well-maintained form and you'll see what I mean.
I too like the mailing list format, I just startup Pine, and start
reading- no firing up major graphics apps for that. I guess it comes down
to a matter of personal taste, and everyone is entitled to their own. I
made the suggestion based on what I had observed of people's reations to
the BB, and my own expirience (which has been positive). And it was only
that, a suggestion.

> With a mailing list like this one, the messages come to me, and I read them,
> and reply when I can do so helpfully. I would probably never get round to
> visiting a bulletin board, because I have better things to do with my time. It
> also makes for much less load on the server, and admins, to run a
> straightforward mailing list.
>
> Maybe a newsgroup would be a good idea, but I'm not sure the current,
> relatively low, level of traffic on this list would justify that.
>
> I do favour the list becoming subscriber-only-posting, though ... but this has
> been discussed previously, and decided against; xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx is the
> address to which people, including new users, post problems, and as such needs
> to be open, because it is not acceptable to expect every user who comes up
> against a problem with the software to subscribe to this list.

Now I can see the reasoning in this. It seems this list has I pretty quick
turn-over rate- alot of the people that post are gone for good after their
question/trouble is solved, with new people coming in to take their place.

> Maybe I'm just getting old, and don't like these sledgehammer-to-crack-a-nut
> bulletin boards muscling in on good old fashioned mailing lists! People seem
> to think that a web browser should be the tool that's used for everything, but
> in many cases, it's not appropriate, and discussion lists like this one are
> one of those cases.

You protested when the GUI was invented, didn't you? ; )