Re: [XFree86] image shakes: setting particular frequency for a particular resolution

>> Problem : My monitor image "shakes" (about 0.1mm left-right, I
>> guess, at aboout 30Hz, I guess ?), especially when the fridge or
>> airconditioner comes on. (This is most visible when a lot of white
>> is displayed, such as when browsing.  When black xterm covers the
>> whole screen, it is not as noticable.)

[...]

>> Any suggestions as to how I could stop the image from shaking at
>> 1280x1024 - no, I cannot get rid of my monitor, fridge, air
>> conditioner, or other life-sustaining devices :) - would be most
>> appreciated.

I don't think this is an "interference" problem that can be solved by
changing frequencies.  It sounds like a magnetic field problem created
by electrical current flowing to the loads you describe, magnetic
fields that are altering the paths of the electrons on their way to
your phosphor screen.

The likely solution is to try changing the geometry, move the monitor,
move (if possible) the power cords to your appliances.  Magnetic
fields usually are most intense very nearby the wiring and fall off
rapidly as you move away.  You could call an electrician to make sure
the wiring is routed correctly or maybe to have them relocate wiring.
If you really get desperate, switch to a flat-panel display.  No
flying electrons to worry about in those.

--
Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
seniorr@xxxxxxxxxxx      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have