Xaw: Tree widget class

Hi folks,

Currently, treeWidgetClass from Xaw supports only vertical:

>         [node 1]
>  [node 1.1]    [node 1.2]
> [node 1.1.1]

and horizontal:

>           [node 1.1]   [node 1.1.1]
> [node 1]
>           [node 1.2]

layouts (which are set via gravity property).

I would like to have a tree widget class with a "standard" tree
layout, where nodes expand diagonally like this:

> [node 1]
>   [node 1.1]
>     [node 1.1.1]
>   [node 1.2]

This change may be seen as a simple extension to an existing
treeWidgetClass.  I have coded this already and I'm ready to send a
patch.

However, I need more features for this diagonal layout which may not
be seen as extension, but are indeed new.  For example, "+/-" knobs:

> -[node 1]
>   -[node 1.1]
>      [node 1.1.1]
>   +[node 1.2]

My question is: should I submit the simple diagonal layout patch and
for new features derive a new class from treeWidgetClass or just put
both diagonal layout and new features into a new derived class?

Your input is very much appreciated.

--
Alexander Pohoyda <alexander.pohoyda@xxxxxxx>
PGP Key fingerprint: 7F C9 CC 5A 75 CD 89 72  15 54 5F 62 20 23 C6 44