Re: Problems with xlib + ipc

chinlu chinawa wrote:

>I'm using linked lists within a shared memory block to
>store (among other), xserver information such as
>display, windows ids, etc.
>This hasn't been problematic, till I've been about to
>destroy a set of windows. This is something I can do
>within the process who created them, but not with any
>child one.
>
>Althoug my child processes, can se the memory region
>where windows' ids are located, as soon as I try, a
>segfault comes up.
>
>Been trying to somehow, tell to XCreateWindow to store
>window information within my memory segment but it
>hasn't been possible, though.

That's not possible, although it shouldn't be necessary in this case.
Window IDs are global to the server.  As long as your child process has
done an XOpenDisplay on the same display as the parent, you should be
able to call XDestroyWindow with a valid Window id.  After all, that's
how xkill works.

The parent process will have to be able to handle the messages that
result from the XDestroyWindow.

--
Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.