Re: Speed bump with XF86Config

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Ed Suchocki wrote:

>I've been trying to modify my graphic resolution for
>my monitor but I have been having some difficulty. I'm
>new to Xfree86 so maybe this question is trivial. I'm
>trying to set up a non standard video mode but I can't
>even seem to get a basic setup that works.
>
>First, I'm using Xfree86 4.2.0 under mandrake
>2.4.18-1.
>I tried the configuration utilities and followed all
>the steps. The config utils tell me that a new
>XF86Config file was made.

Did you try DrakX or XFdrake?

>I'm not sure what config file Xfree86 is looking for.
>Should the configuration parameters be in XF86Config
>or XF86Config-4?
>
>When I try to run the utility xf86cfg (graphical setup
>utility)my mouse will not work (but it does work in
>the line mode). The message states to use the numpad
>for moving and using the cursor. Problem is that the
>cursor moves but no zones can be selected (click
>double click etc).
>
>Next, If I run the config utility X -configure, I get
>a message that says I should run XFree86 -xf86config
>/root/XF86Config.new
>
>When I run this command I get a X window displayed.
>The mouse cursor does not move, CTRL ALT (num) + / -
>do not work either. Ctrl Alt Backspace works fine.

The file /root/XF86Config.new is XF86's best attempt to generate a a
config file for you.  Running it in that manner allows you to test how
well it works.  It seems that apart from the issues you mentioned it
works very nicely.  You can use the texteditor of your choice (pico is
nice for beginners, vi/emacs are worth learning but take time) to edit
the file.  If you search through it for the line containing
'Option "DontZoom" on' and change the "on" or "1" to "off" or "0" then
you should be able to  use CTRL-ALT-+/- to change resoultions on the
fly.  The mouse configuration will be specified in the 'Section
"InputDevices" '.  Make sure that you change the 'Option "Protocol"
xxxxx' line to one that matches your mouse and also that the 'Option
"Device" /dev/xxxxx' line is correct.  (What mouse do you have?)

<snip>

>So my first question is "What configuration Utility
>Should I use? My second question: If I edit the config

There are distro-specific X-config tools and XFree86-supplied X-config
tools.  The latest XFree86-supplied tool is

Mandrake supplies tools like HardDrake and DrakConf which you can use to
change your mouse and video setup.  I don't remember that much about
Mandrake as I installed it once and didn't run it for very long.
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/doc/90/en/Starter.html/mousedrake.html
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/doc/90/en/Starter.html/xfdrake.html

XFree86's latest tool (and there are several older ones) is xf86cfg.
It's pretty good.  You should check out this link
http://www.xfree86.org/~anderson/ConfiguringX/siframes.htm

There's a lot of good documenation at XFree86's own pages (thanks to
Georgina Economou for updating and adding so much useful stuff):
http://www.xfree86.org/support.html

>file manually, what file should I make the chagnes to
>(XF86Config or XF86Config-4 in /etc/X11)

XFree86 searches for configuration files in this order (actually I
snipped the list short, you can see the full thing by "man XF86Config"):
           /etc/X11/<cmdline>  (commandline is any simple path, ie
config/latest  but not ../../someotherplace)
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/<cmdline>
           /etc/X11/$XF86CONFIG
           /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/$XF86CONFIG
           /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
           /etc/X11/XF86Config

So, if you have an /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 it will be used even if there
is also an /etc/X11/XF86COnfig.  My understanding (which may well be
wrong) is that the current preferred XFree86 way is to use
/etc/X11/XF86COnfig.  Your mileage and distribution may vary ( I use Red
Hat and that's what they do with 8.0, the latest release).

>When I run X -probeonly a log file is built and the
>data states it is using the XF86Config-4 file. When I
>examine the log file it shows several graphic modes
>that are not being used Prefixed by (II) I810(0). I'm
>trying to figure where these graphics modes are
>attempted to beloaded.

It'll be in the sections titled "Modeline" if it's a config file for
XFree86 4.2.0.

>My real purpose for modifying the config file is that
>I have a project that requires the video mode to run
>in 400x256x16bpp @ 15.750 Hz (horiz) and 50 - 60Hz
>vert (using a I815 chipset).

I think that you set the Horizontal and Vertical refresh capabilities of
the monitor in "Section Monitor" with the lines "HorizSync and
VertRefresh" then you could use "Section Screen" and "SubSection
Display" with the lines Depth 16 and Modes 400x256.  (I've realized as
I'm writing that I should just append this to the bottom.  Warning: the
appended file has not been tested, it's just a best guess.)

>I looked at several sites for some detaile dinfo
>regarding the config files but all I find is  some
>information that appears to be out of date (over 2
>years old). Most of the info on Xfree86.org just seems
>to briefly touch apon the subject but does not offer
>much detail or example. Maybe I'm not loking in the
>right places :(

Man is your friend.  I think the XFree86 stuff is pretty good actually.

# XFree86 sample, untested config by Oisin Feeley.  Derived from Red
# Hat's "redhat-config-xfree86" produced config for some other chip
# and monitor and edited by hand.  Do not trust.  It's just a suggestion

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name
of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"  # YOU MAY HAVE TO CHANGE THIS
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
       Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"  # YOU MAY HAVE TO CHANGE THIS
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux" # YOU MAY HAVE TO CHANGE THIS
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # DELETE? MAKES WHEEL WORK AS
BUTTON 3
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no" # CHANGE IF ONLY 2 BUTTONS
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
        Identifier  "DevInputMice"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # SAME AS ABOVE
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice" # SAME AS ABOVE
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #SAME AS ABOVE
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no" #SAME AS ABOVE
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Princetion"
        ModelName    "Ultra 17+"
        DisplaySize  X        Y # REPLACE X AND Y WITH VALUES FROM
CONFIGTOOL
        HorizSync    15.75
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 60.0
        ModeLine     "name" PixelClock(Mhz) hdisp, hsyncstart,
hsyncend, and htotal vdisp, vsyncstart, vsyncend, and vtotal  +hsync
+vsync? #ALL THESE HAVE TO BE REPLACED WITH VALUES THAT YOUR MONITOR
TAKES
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "i810"
        VendorName  "Intel"
        BoardName   "whatever"
        VideoRam    # POSSIBLY REMOVE LINE OR SPECIFY IN KILOBYTES
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
                Modes    "400x256"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
                Modes    "400x256"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"  # I THINK THE i810 DRIVERS DO DRI NOW?  IF NOT THEN
REMOVE
        Group        0
        Mode         0666
EndSection