Re: Re : Radeon 9000 : working but !!!!

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 12:07, Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

My membership of the newbie list doesn't let me post to it currently, so
please reply CC'ing the list if possible! I'll try and post it anyway.

I've got RH 8 box running an ATi 9000 PRO as well. My card is made by
Saphire and is so classed as a Powered By ATi card, rather than a Built
By ATi which is what ATi classes as the card they've made themselves.
They do support MDK 9 with these drivers so it is probably the best bet
for you.

Here is how I installed them on RH 8. As root:

1. init 3 in GNOME, drop me to a console (no X for safety).
2. "rpm -i --force <ati_drivers.rpm>"
3. "fglrxconfig" to set-up /etc/X11/X86Config

Now this caused one problem initially. The fglrxconfig adds this line to
the XF86Config:

    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"    # vendor=1002, device=496e

For me, the BusID was PCI:1:0:1 - can be found via lspci. If it is the
wrong one, you'll get "no screens found" and it won't get very far.
Also, you can just comment this line out as XFree86 will generally find
a graphics card itself if there is just one in the system.

Then I ran into this problem using ATi's fglrx driver module:

(--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "Radeon RV250 If" (Chipset = 0x4966)
(--) fglrx(0): (PciSubVendor = 0x148c, PciSubDevice = 0x2039)
(--) fglrx(0): board vendor info: third party grafics adapter - NOT
original ATI
(--) fglrx(0): Linear framebuffer (phys) at 0xd8000000
(--) fglrx(0): MMIO registers at 0xe9000000
(--) fglrx(0): ChipRevID = 0x00
(--) fglrx(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kByte (64-bit DDR SDRAM)
(EE) fglrx(0): board/chipset is not supported by this driver (third
party board)
(EE) fglrx(0): PreInitConfig failed

Because my card is a Powered By ATi card, it doesn't work. I then got
"hexedit" from freshmeat.net and used it to alter this file:

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.o

To get it work hexedit offset 0x626e: 74 44 --> 90 90

Start X and it works just fine. Note I didn't find the above, but it
does work. Even OpenGL flies along now!!

If you need extra info, post a reply to the list.

Cheers,

Rich