Re: Linux distributions. (Oisin Feeley)

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Hans Borg wrote:

>Hi
>I am really sorry for the interpretation of my RH comments.
>It was definitely not sent to flame group nor to degrade RH.
>The group is for help out, no doubt. I was just puzzled by
>all RH problems in conjunctions with XF86 and installs sent
>to this group, and wanted to hear other peoples opinions.
>That also include securuty holes. Is that wrong ???
>I may have phrased my self badly.
>
>All my apologizes.
>
>Do you Oisin Feeley also accept this ?

<snip>
No worries Hans!  I just don't think distro-comparison discussions are a
good idea.  They inevitably degrade into flame wars.  As I posted before
I think that one sees more RH-newbie posts because of market-share. A
lot of more experienced users are comfortable with the other excellent
distributions that they got used to before RH became so popular.

I don't know of any reliable security-analysis whitepapers that shows
that one distro is more/less secure than another.  The thing is that
once a user installs any distribution they can (mis)configure it as
badly as they like or as well as they like.  A Lindows box can be locked
down securely by an experienced admin and an OpenBSD can be turned into
a joke by an inexperienced admin.

Best wishes,
Oisin Feeley