Re: Where is the ATI Radeeon ???

Hi Yall & Rich,

for the Radeon 9000 you have a couple of options.

What I did in Debian, is go to ...

http://dri.sourceforge.net/

then into the download section & update my apt list file, then install via synaptic the dri-trunk stuff.
The latter has Radeon 9000 support & so I swapped out my 7000 & put in my 9000 card....

Option two, is to go directly to ATI & get the official drivers for our cards :-)

But, *YMMV*

The drivers are compiled against Redhat 8.0; so your in if your running that! But, they will try to generate/compile drivers according to your local environment.

In Debian 3.0, there are hurdles to overcome & I've not managed to install these yet (Others using Debian have).

I've sent off a bug report to ATI, I get various "parse" errors & so have other "Debianista's."

See the following thread, for possible workarounds for the ATI install, if you do have Debian ...

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33648944

There are more options, which others on this listie may share.

*HTH*

Greek Geek :-)

You think Oedipus had a problem -- Adam was Eve's mother.

uk1 wrote:

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how I can select the ATI Radeon (any
version would be a good start) in the Xfree86 configuration (xf86config) ?
I've used the xfree86 package (v 4.2.1) that comes with FreeBSE 4.7 and none
of the Radeon chips are listed when I run xf86config. So I rebuilt 4.2.0
from source and although several radeon chips are definitely listed in the
source, they just don't appear when I run xf86config !

I actually want to get my radeon 9000 working (on a Dell laptop), and from
the info I've already managed to get from this and other sites, I've added
its device ID to the source and rebuilt it. It builds ok, but (again), it
doesn't get llisted in the configuration tool !

At the moment, the best I can get out of X is VGA resolution (using the VGA
driver) - anything else (ie - trying to use any of the ATI drivers) just
doesn't work (can't find driver, can't find device etc etc...)

regards,

Rich.