xkb

I need to switch languages (English, French, Italian) very often within the
same document where I am using text and graphics - in OpenOffice, specifically.
s there some way to switch keyboard layouts on FreeBSD quickly and
painlessly as can be done on Windows?
On Windows, hiting Left Shift + Alt switches between keyboards.
An alternate way of entering accented or "strange" characters (on Windows)
is to hold down Alt and enter the ASCII codes from the number pad, e.g. Alt
- 0233 produces é.
I was told that xkb (or is it XKB) could do this; that I could switch
keyboards with hotkeys. Would this work in OpenOffice? In kde3?
Where can I find info on how to implement and use?
Thanks in advance,
PJ