Re: degrade refresh rate for LCD

Yongming Wei:

> Thanks,
>
> I did as you suggest, it really works and degrades my
> refresh rate, but I got another problem: my monitor
> begin to flicker. I check the current mode and find
> the dotclock also degrade from 78.8 to 60, I am not
> sure if it is the reason of flickering.
>
> I also know from others reply that it is good to live
> with 75HZ refresh rate, now I am just curious and want
> to make further investigation because in win2k,
> 1024*768@60HZ can work without this problem, I just do
> not believe linux can not do it.
>
> Is there some ways to increase dotrate? Or avoid
> flickering at 60HZ refresh rate?
>
> Regards,
>
> YM

Hi,
I can't really solve your problem but let me add:
With an LCD the issue of refresh rate is a bit different from other
monitors because an LCD doesn't flicker even with less then 60 Hz. This
is because and LCD doesn't really have to 'refresh' the pixels since the
just 'stay' as they are. With a normal monitor, however, you can notice
a big difference betwenn 56, 60, 75 and even 90 Hz. Refresh rates on
LCDs are an issue only if you have to display e.g. movies or play games
where new graphical information must to be displayed quickly. I work
with texts mostly, use 60 Hz on my LCD with 1280x1024 pixel and are very
happy with it :-)

If the screen flickers then you may enter a *range* (like "60-78.8"). X
will hopefully choose the right one. If your manual shows a table with
'fixed' values, you can enter them as follows also: 60, 70.2, 78.8

Also keep in mind that there are *two* kinds of refresh rates to be
entered.

After all you may also see if your LCD can be fine-tuned. Mine has got a
"fine auto tune".

'bye
 Felix