Re: degrade refresh rate for LCD

Yongming Wei:

> Hi all,
>
> I changed my monitor from CRT to LCD, then I install
> redhat 8.0, X could start without any problems, and it
> looks good.
>
> However I have concern that the manual of LCD
> recommend refresh rate set to 60HZ at 1024*768, but my
> X default looks for the highest refresh rate which is
> 75HZ(hope that would not damage my monitor).
>
> I looked for some documents only found how to set
> modeline to change the refresh rate, can somebody give
> me suggestion of how to set my refresh rate to 60HZ?

Hi,
I have got a LCD, too, and I experienced very good results when I
entered the *exact* refresh rate(s) supported by the LCD display. As far
as I know you can solve your problem in the way that you just type in
ONE rate. So X won't look for other rates. (Others may correct me.)

The config file is
/etc/XF86Config

Here you can enter vertical and horizontal rates.
And here a show you a part of my /etc/XF86Config file.
Note, that I entered just one rate and that I entered it exactly as
shown in my LCD manual (as a fraction):

#...

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

#must be the same name like in Screen's section below:

    Identifier  "Novita"
    VendorName "Novita"
    ModelName ""
    Option "dpms"

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

    HorizSync   63.981

#    HorizSync	30-64         # multisync
#    HorizSync	31.5, 35.2    # multiple fixed sync frequencies
#    HorizSync	15-25, 30-50  # multiple ranges of sync frequencies

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

    VertRefresh 60.020

EndSection

#...