RE: degrade refresh rate for LCD

I've got a good one : how do you find these refresh rates if the
documentation doesn't mention them ?

	----------
	From:  f.kater@gmx.net [SMTP:f.kater@gmx.net]
	Sent:  30 October 2002 10:09
	To:  newbie@XFree86.Org
	Subject:  Re: degrade refresh rate for LCD

	Yongming Wei:

	> Hi all,
	>
	> I changed my monitor from CRT to LCD, then I install
	> redhat 8.0, X could start without any problems, and it
	> looks good.
	>
	> However I have concern that the manual of LCD
	> recommend refresh rate set to 60HZ at 1024*768, but my
	> X default looks for the highest refresh rate which is
	> 75HZ(hope that would not damage my monitor).
	>
	> I looked for some documents only found how to set
	> modeline to change the refresh rate, can somebody give
	> me suggestion of how to set my refresh rate to 60HZ?

	Hi,
	I have got a LCD, too, and I experienced very good results when I
	entered the *exact* refresh rate(s) supported by the LCD display. As
far
	as I know you can solve your problem in the way that you just type
in
	ONE rate. So X won't look for other rates. (Others may correct me.)

	The config file is
	/etc/XF86Config

	Here you can enter vertical and horizontal rates.
	And here a show you a part of my /etc/XF86Config file.
	Note, that I entered just one rate and that I entered it exactly as
	shown in my LCD manual (as a fraction):

	#...

	#
	# Monitor section
	#

	# Any number of monitor sections may be present

	Section "Monitor"

	#must be the same name like in Screen's section below:

	    Identifier  "Novita"
	    VendorName "Novita"
	    ModelName ""
	    Option "dpms"

	# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
	# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
	# comma separated list of ranges of values.
	# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
	# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

	    HorizSync   63.981

	#    HorizSync	30-64         # multisync
	#    HorizSync	31.5, 35.2    # multiple fixed sync frequencies
	#    HorizSync	15-25, 30-50  # multiple ranges of sync frequencies

	# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
	# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
	# comma separated list of ranges of values.
	# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
	# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

	    VertRefresh 60.020

	EndSection

	#...

	Regards,
	 Felix
This email and any accompanying files are confidential.      If you are
not  the  intended recipient  you  must not use,  copy or disclose the
content.   If you have received this email in error please contact the
sender by return email and delete this message.
Thankyou for your co-operation.