RE: Laptop Mouse Weirdness

Jeff:

Ditto on that.  I have a Dell with a TrackPoint AND a TouchPad as well
as the PS/2 port in the back where I used to plug-in my wheel mouse.  I
setup my X to use the wheel mouse because that's what I used 90% of the
time.  It's when I went to the computer room to do some troubleshooting
with my laptop that I ran into your problem.  I had no place for a mouse
so I was forced to use the TouchPad or TrackPoint and it was pretty
weird.

The problem lies with the fact that the wheel mouse uses virtual mouse
buttons 4 and 5 to perform wheel operations that are simply not there
for the TouchPad / TrackPoint.  Also, the PS/2 device typically emulates
a 3rd mouse button using the same virtual mouse buttons that the wheel
mouse uses (ZAxisMapping "4 5").  So, there are two possibilities: 1)
don't use a wheel mouse so you won't use the ZAxisMapping option (not
what you're looking for) or 2) don't use 3-button emulation on your
TouchPad / TrackPoint (better).

You may still experience problems with plugging-in or unplugging the
external mouse while in X.  Unfortunately, X isn't Plug-n-Play so it
won't recognize that you've switched mice.  You must restart X
(Ctl-Alt-Backspace) AFTER you plug-in or unplug your mouse.

But I may have a better answer: use two different mice: an external USB
wheel mouse along with the built-in TrackPoint / TouchPad (I have a Dell
- it has both).  To implement it, modify your XF86Config-4 file and make
sure you have two pointers defined: one USB mouse and the other for the
Trackpoint/TouchPad/PS-2 port, like this:

	Section "InputDevice"
		Identifier	"TouchPad"
		Driver		"mouse"
		Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
		Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
		Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
	EndSection

	Section "InputDevice"
		Identifier	"USB Mouse"
		Driver		"mouse"
		Option		"Device"
"/dev/input/mice"
		Option		"Protocol"		"IMPS/2"
		Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
	EndSection

Then, use a ServerLayout section and specify that both mice are to be
used, like this:

	Section "ServerLayout"
		Identifier	"Home"
		InputDevice	"Keyboard0"	"CoreKeyboard"
		InputDevice	"TouchPad"	"CorePointer"
		InputDevice	"USB Mouse"	"SendCoreEvents"
		Screen 0	"Screen LCD"
	EndSection

It works!  I use both the USB Mouse AND at the same time, I can also use
the TouchPad and the TrackPoint devices.  If I unplug the USB mouse, I
can still continue using the TouchPad and TrackPoint devices without a
problem.  Also, note that in the "TouchPad" configuration, I did NOT
define the Emulate3Buttons option so I won't have a great deal of
difficulty using an external wheel mouse.

Hope this helps.

Dave