Laptop Mouse Weirdness

I have a Toshiba Laptop with the PS/2 Trackpoint which has scroll
buttons.  When I configure it as a wheel mouse, or when I disable the
trackpoint and use a PS/2 wheel mouse, the pointer gets all whacked
out.  It jumps to the bottom left corner and when you move it it also
registers tons of right and left clicks by itself.  If I try to move it
too much it deletes my launchers and moves my menus because of all the
random clicking.

Anyway it appears that it's caused by switching the mouse protocol from
PS/2 to IMPS/2.  Any information what anyone can tell or point me to on
PS/2 vs. IMPS/2 would be great.

--
Jeff Bearer, RCHE
Webmaster, PittsburghLIVE.com