solution to my video card problem!!

Hi all,

I m sharing the solution i stepped on while configuring video card. I had a an ATI rage 128 ultra pro card, which was neither listed in the  xfconfig nor in the Kxconfig provided by caldera people. While configuring my OPenlinux server, i was also configuring Open unix base operating system on another PC of the same cofiguration. This OS identified the card as VESA ati rage 128 ultra pro (!!) . After observing this I configured generic VESA in my OpenLinux Server..(because VESA ati rage 128 ultra pro was not listed ) Honestly i was not expecting anything...but out of the black my desktop appeared..and it looks even better then windows!!

In the whole episode i could not understand a few things:

1:Before all this mismatch, I was continously seeing the message of Fatal server error 'no screens found", even when i had a screen section in xconfig file.

2: Making changes in xfconfig for openlinux did not help..may be because of the card option and ..and in any case the OS picks Kxconfig file instead of Xfconfig file ...does it mean that openlinux does not use Xfconfig to look for settings?

there could be other points also which i may have missed..but i hope this will help people who are stuck up with the same card as mine..

shikha

P.S. nowhere on Ati,caldera or dell (monitor) website this card is listed as it is recognised by the OS. if somebody can make this information official then it may help a lot of people.

Do you Yahoo!?