Flashing Screen still

Thanks Lionel,

Sadly, fixing the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config file didn't help - the
same flashing problem occurs. As you suggested, I did this:

    # cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
    # mv XF86Config XF86Config.orig
    # cp /root/XF86Config.new XF86Config

I had already added the option line to the file in /root yesterday.

I have posted the latest files to http://66.181.46.77/x11/20020918/
because I don't think a 139 kbyte file is a welcome attachment.

(For all the original gory details look at the "why-me.txt" file posted
back down in the x11 directory.)

By the way, I got the files onto the web machine by doing this:

    # cd /var/www/htdocs/x11/20020918
    # ssh 172.22.33.55 cat /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config > XF86Config
    # ssh 172.22.33.55 cat /var/log/xdm-errors > xdm-errors
    # ssh 172.22.33.55 cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log > XFree86.0.log

Therefore, there should be no changes introduced by me re-typing all
that.  (If there's a better way to move files between machines, please
tell me - even this is laborious).

As you can see inside the XF86Config file, I put the [ Option
"NoCompositeSync" ] in the correct filename this time.  (duh,... yup ).
The log gave this result:

    (WW) TRIDENT(0): Option "NoCompositeSync" is not used

That settles that! At least the line is being acknowledged now.

Thanks for patiently pointing out the filename was called out in the log.
There is a tab character in between the option and the quote, but it
doesn't line up with the other lines. I don't think this matters, but
I'm ready to be wrong again, and have bad formatting be the reason
the setting is "not used".

I still get the 1/10th second flash every four seconds on the screen.
It seems the software keeps looping around trying to get the screen to
work, and keeps getting interrupted or reset by a "PM Event", whatever
that means.  I let it run until the machine locked again, and then hit
reset. If I don't wait for this, the log files are zero-length, as I
recall.

I'm willing to keep trying. It took about 2 months for me to decide to
try some older machines and then get success. So I know X works from the
default OpenBSD 3.1 install.  I just want to use the 550 MHz machine
instead of drag along on an ancient 486-66.

Thanks again, let's keep at this.

-Ken

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:42:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Lionel Lecoq <lionel_lecoq@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Thanks, but it didn't help the flashing screen...
> To: newbie@XFree86.Org
>
> Just a dumb question (I did not follow the thread...)
> are you sure X uses "/root/XF86Config.new"
> normally it should use /etc/X11/XF86Config resp. /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 in
some distros which offer
> you the choice between X3 and X4...
>
> One of the config utilities (I believe it is XFree86 -configure) does
create XF86Config.new but
> one should then transfer it in /etc/X11 and rename it (i.e. remove the
.new)
> It is obviously possible to specify a config file in the command invoquing
X which may be what you
> have...
>
> In order to check what is being used you can look at the log (I believe it
is
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log)
>
> Oops, I just looked at your URL, the log says
> (==) Using config file: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config"
> backup that file and overwrite it with your /root/XF86Config.new and try
again

> I suggest we take it over after you have tried that and posted the new
XF86Config and log...