monitor goes blank

hi
i am installing red hat linux 7.2 on acer systems with intel 82845G/GL graphics card and acer AC501 monitor.
the support site for intel says use the vesa generic driver by changing driver="vesa" in the XF86config-4 file.Well the startx command does take me to gnome but the problem in when a user logs off or the monitor goes on stand by. The screen goes bland and never comes back. According to the documentation provided by XFree86 they say there is something wrong with the chip set settings. Red Hat 7.3 does detect the graphics under vesa but the problem exists.
I shall be grateful if some one can help
Regards
babar