Getting XView/Openwin to work

Hi,

I have been able to get my xview/openwin application to work reasonably
well on RH7.3.  This is what I did:

Installed theXFree86-compat-modules 3.3.6 and the XFree86-SVGA 3.3.6(for
my display) rpms from RH7.3.
Checked that /etc/X11/XF86Config was OK and included an 8bit display option
Changed the link /usr/X11R6/bin/X to point to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-SVGA.
The link /etc/X11/X didn't seem to matter.
Chose fvwm2 as my window manager in .xinitrc, got the rpm from RH 7.3.
did startx -- -bpp 8 and it worked.
But only using my old application binaries which were probably from
RH6.2.  When I recompiled using XFree86 using the XFree86-devel 4.2.0
the program would crash, so I hunted for a XFree86-devel 3.3.6, which  I
found in RedHat 6.2.  I uninstalled XFree86-devel 4.2.0, overcame some
hassles to install XFree86-devel 3.3.6, then copied the  /usr/X11R6
directory tree into /usr/X11R6V3.  I then uninstalled devel 3.3.6 and
reinstalled devel 4.2.0 so I can develop current X applications if I
want to.  Finally I changed my makefile entries to point to the
/usr/X11R6V3 directory.  Then my application compiled and ran.

I'm not much of a Linux programmer and there may be a better way, but
this worked for me.

Jon