New Kernel; reinstall X 4.2?

Hi,

I just upgraded my kernel from 2.4.7 to 2.4.19 using the source package
for 2.4.19 at www.kernel.org.  Everything works fine; but for some
reason, my system with the newer kernel can't/doesn't want to use OpenGL
even though the system used it before the upgrade.  I copied the .config
file from my 2.4.7 source directory to the 2.4.19 one before using 'make
menuconfig' and continuing with the kernel compilation process.  I'm
using XFree86 4.2.0 which I installed from the binary files at
www.XFree86.org.  My computer is a Compaq 1800T Presario laptop with ATI
Rage 128 Mobility graphics.  When I load up my system with the old
kernel and use 'lsmod', it shows that the rage128 module is being used.
It isn't used when I load up the system with the new kernel.
XScreenSaver and certain games run incredibly slow with my new kernel;
they work fine under the old kernel.

Do I need to reinstall X 4.2, or is there something else I need to
change in my kernel configuration before compiling 2.4.19 (I only added
USB modem functionality and Advanced Power Management when I configured
2.4.19).  I'm a little reluctant to reinstall X again, since I had so
many problems getting 4.2 working with my Debian Gnome 2 setup.

Thanks,

Riandi Wiguna