nv, switching between laptop display and external monitor

I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop equipped with the GeForce2 Go
card.  I have been using the closed-source nvidia driver for a while,
but I have recently changed to the patched version of the nv driver
(the patch should AFAIK have been added to the CVS tree now).

I sometimes connect my laptop to an external monitor.  With the nvidia
driver that was easy since it had the option (through
SecondMonitorHorizSync and SecondMonitorVertRefresh) of specifying the
sync frequencies for both the laptop's and the external monitor.
Browsing through the manuals, I have not figured out if it is possible
to do something similar using the nv driver.

So my question is: when using the nv driver what are my options for
switching between an external monitor and the build-in flat screen
display.  In particular, is there some way to do it ``on the fly'',
i.e., without having to stop my X server? Or is there some way to have
the X server reread the XF86Config-4 without stopping the current
session?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Peter
--
http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,