Choosing the X seerver

Hi,

I get the digest and am composing this on the web, so
sorry to not include previous posts.

I see from the digest that one sets the X server via a
link /etc/X11/X.  Thats interesting.  When I looked at
the documention (I forget whether it was man or info)
I learned you set the X server using .xserverrc.  So
which is it?  How do these two ways resolve
differences?

I want to test going back to the ver 3.3.6 server in
order to try to figure out what broke my application
going from RH 7.1 to 7.3.  The application uses an old
xview3.2 port from years ago.  It is probably beyond
my capabilities to recompile this, but I did recompile
my application, which didn't change anything.

What other differences (besides xserver) could affect
my application?  The x libraries?  But then shouldn't
the old binary of my application have worked, or are
the libraries loaded at run time?  Please forgive my
ignorance.

My application needs an 8 bit display.  It acts as if
all the colors have been allocated already and so it
can't get the color map it is requesting.  This
happens even when I use twm as the window manager and
have no other applications running.  Another problem
is that the canvas does not refresh correctly when
scrolled.  So perhaps it has something to do with the
X libraries.  Perhaps some new rewrite broke the
backward compatibility.  Is there any way I can make
use of old libraries without having to revert to RH
7.1?

Anyone know of new ports of xview?

Thanks,
Jon