Re: Can't view movies with 4.2 and ATI Rage 128

On 2002.08.28 17:28 Alexandre Heitor Schmidt wrote:

> I am also having a problem with the Trident driver using the XVideo
> Extension. The entire system crashes when I try the FullScreen
> mode. The rendering is also horrible. It seems it is painted in
> green!

I'm using the r128-driver for the card. I tried the ati, but the
results are the same :-(

> I'm using Xine video player with the option -V XShm. Now the only
> problem are the movie flicks. I noticed it only happens with the
> XShm video plug-in. With the Xv, the speed is ok and there is no
> flicks. But with Xv there is two problems: I can't use the
> full-screen mode (system crash) and the rendering is terrible!

Well, I tried to watch movies using mplayer 0.96pre6 which worked fine
under XFree 4.1. The system crashes when

- I do fullscreen
- I move the window
- I watch more then 4 seconds

So I think you are in a slightly better position...

I also tried to watch a mpeg-movie with xmms and xmms-mpeg. The system
crashes, too.

I didn't try that much different output-drivers because rebooting the
system takes a lot of time. And I can't believe it's to the hardwares
best to switch the computer of over and over again... But if you say
you have diffent results with different output-drivers I I'll try to
switch a bit.

> I read some info on the new trident driver. They say the driver is
> now accelerated. I noticed the old trident driver doesn't support
> Xv. The problem, I think, is 'only' the driver.

Somebody got an idea where to get patches?