Re: Extreme newbie help

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Shawn Teague wrote:

> Hi, Iım running Mac OS X 10.1.5 and am trying to get Gimp running on my
> machine. Iım using a 400MHz TiBook. Iım following the instructions given at
> homepage.mac.com/rgriff/xdarwin.html
> Iıve gotten Xdarwin and Fink running but canıt go any further because
> apparently Iım missing some files. When I do apt-get update I get this for
> an output:
>
> [localhost:~] shawn% sudo apt-get update
> Err file: local/main Packages
>   File not found
> Ign file: local/main Release
> Err file: stable/main Packages
>   File not found
> Ign file: stable/main Release
> Err file: stable/crypto Packages
>   File not found
> Ign file: stable/crypto Release
> Get:1 http://fink.sourceforge.net release/main Packages [83.8kB]

First off, this reply is not intended to be rude or off-putting, but I
realize that it could be taken that way and I hasten to assure you that
any possible offence conveyed by it is due to my lack of skill in
communicating, rather than any evil intent.

This seems like a question that is specific to howto use your system (Mac
OS X) and apt-get.  You will probably get help if you direct your query to
a mailing list that deals with Mac OSX administration/installation.  This
mailing list deals with questions about the use and installation of the
XFree86 windowing system and your question doesn't seem that appropriate.

I don't use fink, or apt-get, but it looks from your transcript as though
you are either failing to use apt-get properly (in which case you should
read any FAQs or manpages about apt-get that you can find on your system)
or else that the file(s) you are trying to download don't exist.

If you use Google (www.google.com) you will probably be able to find
mailing-lists, forums and FAQs that will help you either immediately with
your question or else suggest a more appropriate place to ask it.  I tried
a search using combinations of (gimp OS X fink install packages help) and
found the following:

A Fink homepage section about installing on OSX 10.1 with different
versions of Fink:
http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/puma-kit.php

An XDarwin forum with someone else having a Gimp related problem:
http://www.xdarwin.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=583&t=583#reply_583

And lots more stuff.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley