ATI Radeon Graphics / RedHat7.1 / BIOS settings

Dear list,

I notice a few of you are having similar problems to me with your Radeon
cards.
I was wondering if there was a problem with my BIOS settings. I posted this
to linux.redhat on usenet a while back- so apologies if you've seen it
before- but nobody answered anyhow.
This may shed some light on your problems, or it may allow you to help me
solve mine, or both.
Anyhow, here's the situation....

HARDWARE:
450w AMD-approved ATX PSU
Mobo: Abit KG7 (_not_ RAID)
Processor: AMD Athlon 1.33GHz, 266MHz FSB
Memory: 256Mb non-ECC PC2100 "crucial"-brand RAM
IDE: 40GB Seagate Barracuda ATA-100, 8GB Maxtor ATA-33 , generic DVD reader
ATA-33, 1GB Quantum Fireball
PCI:
  Creative Sound Blaster Live!
  SCSI: Advansys PCI adapter> Plextor 8/20 CDR internal
                                               >Microtek Phantom636 Scanner
AGP: ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder with 32Mb on-board, AGPx4  > CTX VL950 monitor
PS/2 wheelmouse & keyboard
Parallel: ECP&EPP> Canon BJC 7100 printer
Serial: USRobotics 56k professional message modem (external)
USB: Palm Hotsync cradle (m515)
...heatsinks & fans as you'd expect
......all of which works fine under Win98SE

PROBLEM:
Trying to install from RH 7.1 (&powertools) distribution CD, installation
runs fine; setting up a text-mode system causes no problems.
However, setting up a graphical login causes problems to emerge subsequently
when INIT is moving up run-levels (same whether configured during setup, or
running Xconfigurator from command line as root): text is displayed
correctly, but the icons on-screen are just grey silhouettes. When GNOME
starts, it puts a big black box where it's splash screen should be, and a
little slice of the graphic is placed at the bottom of the screen. This
stays there even when the (blank) panel slides over it. The desktop
background contains various horizontally skewed bits of graphics that should
have appeared in windows I've opened (the text appears in the right place).
Also, on the login screen, the "RedHat" text & logo are a silhouette of some
horizontal streaks- again, the text is ok. The mouse pointer is a box
containing a pixel-pattern that changes as it moves over things.

This behaviour is independent of whether I use the default Radeon driver,
the "all-in-wonder" driver, the default VGA, SVGA, or FB driver, whichever
resolution or colour depth I select.

It's also not changed by altering BIOS settings for video bios & ram
caching, AGP speed, or system bios caching: interestingly, it _IS_ affected
by the BIOS setting for the size of graphics aperture: 32, 128 or 256 work
as described above, but 64MB causes the system to hang & power-off the
monitor at the point the X-server tries to start.

I've tried RedHat's suggestion of "option nodri"- again no difference.
Otherwise, I'm using all the defaults settings, and binaries as supplied.

QUESTIONS:
1] Does anyone know of any known-good BIOS settings for running RH7.1 on a
hardware configuration like mine?
2] As one of the BIOS settings is having some effect, must I assume this to
be the problem? Or should I look elsewhere?
3] Why does the RedHat software management system want me to up-date to
XFree version 4.1.0, when 4.2.0 is available?

TIA!
--
Mark Ruddell <ru4ddell@doctor3s.2org.u1k>
To reply to me, remove the numerals from the above