RE: network cards

We have a similar situation. We have a Dell Power Edge server, it has
dual NIC's on the motherboard. If you ping either card from the outside
they respond as expected so either card will handle incoming traffic but
only 1 card seems to handles the outbound traffic. It is necessary to
obtain/install another package that will allow load sharing between
cards or a "fail over" option in the event one of the cards dies. The
package has a daemon that runs as a background process and monitors
traffic, routing it to the least used card. It can also be set to run in
fail over mode. We can only pick one of these modes to operate in, load
sharing or fail over but not both.  Our package was supplied by Dell but
was specific for the installed NIC's, i.e. 3Com, Broadcom, Linksys, etc.
Check with the motherboard vendor or the NIC mfg. to see if they have
one.

Dave

2 cards should work, even on the same IRQ.  They DO, however, need
different ip addresses.  They should then be able to 'ping' each-other,
as well as everyone else.

Hi,
Does Linux shares irq's? I have an Intel motherboard(S845WD1-E) with two
network cards onboard. I loaded RH7.3 and I was able to set the both
network cards in the setup process of RH. When I am in RH I can use eth0
to go in the internet but eth1 doesn't work to go in the internet. I ran
ifconfig to see the setings for the nic's and I see they have the same
irq. Also, I can see the RX and TX packets for both nic's, eth0 has
packets but not eth1. How can I make the second card work? Please help.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Fernando