Re: help with Radeon 7500 -- dual heads

Eric Hagemann wrote:

> Just getting linux up and running on my P4 with a radeon 7500 dual headed
> card
>
> I have got it working except for the "dual headed part "
>
> I think I have correctly modified the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, however
> when I try and turn on the secon screen the server crashes telling me that
> "DRI" is not supported ?  Any help would be appreciated.  My XF86Config-4
> file is enclosed

I've just found to my cost that the digital section of the DVI-I port on the
card is not used by the Xfree 4.2 drivers. Hence if you put the digital
connector of a TFT screen on the DVI-I port, it will not work.

If you use the supplied adapter and connect a screen with a VGA connector, it
will work.

I was at first under the impression the supplied adapter was a digital ->
analogue converter, but that is not so. It only connects the analogue data on
the DVI-I port to a VGA connector. The DVI-I port has both digital and analogue
on it.

Since I needed support for the digital connector, I've finally given up with a
Radeon 7500 and bought a inno GeForce 4 Ti 4200 card instead (based on the
nvidia chip set). The linux driver that is included in X supports that up to
1024x768, but the nvidia drivers hopefully support it to 1600x1200, although
I've not installed them yet.
--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
email: drkirkby@ntlworld.com