Re: S3 Virge GX (86C385) and a Newbie

Would this by any chance be a Compaq Deskpro 4000?  Your problem seems
similar to one that I had with that machine and its OEM version of the
S3 Virge GX card which, as I recall, used the same chip.

The solution:  use XFree86 version 3.3.6 rather than 4.x.x.  Here is
what worked for my installation of Redhat 7.2. (Posted Previously)

Regarding Deskpro (4000?) using S3 ViRGE GX.  I have just gone through
the same experience.  I am installing RedHat 7.2.

My symptoms were a small, rectangular area that adjacent to the cursor,
plus other annoying distortions.  I was using a SonyCPD 1304 monitor
that was supported by RedHat..

I found the solution at "www.dsm.fordham.edu/~moniot/linux-compaq/".
With RedHat's help (see below) I was able to implement it.

The basic problem seems to be that the XF86_SVGA server doesn't support
Compaq's (OEM version?) of the S3 Virge card  It is better supported by
the XF86_S3 server which was also included on the RedHat 7.2
distribution
disks.

Here is how Red Hat advised me to implement the fix recommended at
www.dsm.fordham.edu/~moniot/linux-compaq/:

About the video settings, we suggest that you install the XFree86-S3V
package
which is located at the Red Hat CD#2, under the RedHat/RPMS directory.
install that package please use this command:

rpm -ivh XFree86-S3V*

Then issue this command to reconfigure the settings:

Xconfigurator --expert --preferxf3 --server XF86_S3V