Re: X-Windows loads every time linux boots

Okay, basically you have to refer to the /real/ old RHL 5.2 documentation
on this if it's not already in the docs.  Fortunately I have it, and the
basic procedure is to manually edit /etc/inittab via a text editor (such
a pico).

I.e. from an x-term window,

1) 'pico /etc/inittab'
2) page down once (twice?) and search for 'id:5:initdefault:'
3) change the five to a three so line now says 'id:3:initdefault:'
4) reboot to test.

You should get X to run by typing 'startx'.

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:33:38 +0200 "Hendrik Fourie"
<hendrikf@webmail.co.za> writes:
> When I first installed Red Hat 7.2, the installer asked me whether I
> wanted  X-Windows to start automatically every time it boots, and
> at
> the time I said yes, because working with X-Windows seemed easier
> work with and get used to (I dual boot with Windows 98 on my other
> hdd), however after a few days I feel ready to start working almost
> exclusively in the command prompt environment and only start
> X-Windows
> when I need to. How do I change the boot procedure so that it does
> not
> load at startup. I am using XFree86 and in order to update it to
> the
> latest version, I will need to exit and not have it running.

"Stride the storm or it will dance you."
Michael D. Beams