Re: Any ATI support available?

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 16:14, Mirek Vitek wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I was wondering how extensive is support for the Ati video boards,
> because I have heard Linux systems such as Debian (which I have) do not
> handle these kind of cards very well.  Are there any drivers or downloads
> available on the XFree86.Org website to solve problems with the ati boards.
>  I appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Thanks

There appears to be support but it is fragmented, complex and difficult. I
have a Radeon 64 DDR blahblah - it has worked fine right out of the gate for
all ordinary purposes. But demanding 3D games and such require pretty
sophisticated tweaking. I've never put in the work required I suppose  - when
even Red Hat Help put  me of by simply telling me that it was their
understanding that the tweaks did exist, but did not tell me what they were I
just sort of never got around to it. There is just so much work to be done
you have to pick your battles.