Re: text-mode resolution changes after X started once

Daniel wrote:

> I'm using Linux Kernel 2.4.18 (Mandrake 8.2) with XFree86 4.2.0 /w
> hardware acc. on a Matrox Millennium G550 2, Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster
> 950p.

> The problem I have is:

> My virtual terminals are running in framebuffer-device, resolution
> 1024x768, but each time the x-server is started, the text-mode switches
> to some kind of a different screen-mode (an odd one which the monitor
> isn't able to display), so I can't use the virtual consoles anymore.
> Killing the X-Server doesn't help, the text-mode resides in an
> undisplayable resolution.

> Hope this is none of the already-hundreds-of-times-asked questions. :)

My most recent install is Mandrake 8.2, which worked fine from the
start. In one of my previous installs, 8.1 or one of the 8.1 beta or rc
distros, I had the same problem as you. I don't remember the solution,
but suggest you try adding, deleting or changing the vga= parameter in
your grub or lilo configuration (the kernel= line). The line in mine
that starts runlevel 5 ends with vga=788.

To see what vga modes your system should support, you can change yours
to read vga=ask. You will then get a prompt to choose or test various
modes. Once you find the one that works best for you you can change your
lilo or grub config accordingly. Framebuffer-HOWTO.html on disk or at
http://www.tldp.org/ should provide more clues.
--
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the
Bible."                                                George Washington

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/