Re:4.x and Old hardware

Do you mean the vesa driver for xfree or the vesa framebuffer with the fbdev driver for xfree?

I looked at vesa a little bit before, but I assumed that this laptop was too old (c. 1995) to work
with the vesa standard. I tried using the vesa driver a couple times but it said it couldn't find
a device. I didn't fiddle with it beyond that.

Do I need to have a kernel built with vesa framebuffer support? The kernel I'm using wasn't
built with the vesa framebuffer though I do have some of the other framebuffer options
turned on (4 bit & 8 bit).

Can anyone point me to some better documentation for these drivers than what I find in the
man pages and in xfree86.org?