[Newbie]New to X

technical questions wrote:

> Hi Kurt,

my expectation is ...

> When I connect from Windows to a remote Solaris machine using exceed, does X need to run on both my machine and the Solaris box.

the  x server runs on the sun, your windows box is the client.

 Which is client and which is server? I heard X has a reverse
client-server concept.

i'll let more knowledgable folks comment on that assertion.

> Then from solaris, my application logs into a AS 400 (mainframe) machine and does updates. For this, I need to have the X process running on the Solaris. Does this X on Solaris come-into-picture when I connect from my Windows workstation to this Solaris?

i've not done this, but it should work in that fashion.
x doesnt know your connecting client isnt unix.

> Another thing I want to confirm is that this X needs some video memory to run. This can either be provided by a Video Card, if I have it in my system, OR by installing the XVFB (X Virtual Frame Buffer). The difference between the two will be that I launch X in the first case and Xvfb in the second case. So Xvfb is also a complete X?
>
> There is also a ":1" parameter in the processes shown below-
>
> /usr/openwin/bin/X :1 -dev /dev/fb0 -nobanner
> Xvfb :1 -shmem -fbdir /u02/redoak_out
>
> I want to know what does ":1" and ":0" mean. Can there be a ":2" also?
>
> This ":1" and ":0" is tied to the DISPLAY variable on the Solaris. What exactly is this relation?

yup, the numeric is which x session to attach to. that is on my *nix
boxs,
i have virtual terminals tied to the F keys. i could start a kde session
and that would be the local X:0, but i could switch to a second F
session
and login, do a remote login to a second *nix box and start x telling
it,
use the :1, that would spawn a second desktop display on the sedond
session.

hth, jackc...