[Newbie]How do I startup X with a black background

Thanks!  I'll look for it.

.... I have to come clean here, seeing as your an HP guy  (Nice to meet you,
I'm a recovering HPUX admin).  I'm really trying to get an HP Entria II
xterminal booting from a RH 7.1 NFS server to come up with the black screen.
Not really XFree86 ( which I'd have the liberty to grep the source code
for ).

It's for a Navy research vessel, and they are REALLY picky about having a
dark bridge at night.

Thanks again, you've already been really helpful.

     -Dan Garthwaite