[Newbie]How do I startup X with a black background

Around 14 o'clock on May 28, "Dan Garthwaite" wrote:

> Is there an Xresource setting or maybe a command line option to specify the
> color of the X server, before it's even started?

Not that I know of, but it would be easy to hack the insides of the server
to make this work.  You're in luck with this particular choice; the X spec
says the default root background is a tile using black and white pixels,
so you really can just change the source and still be compliant with the
spec.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab