[Newbie]ATI RADEON 7200

HI Dear,
sorry for my english, I'm trying to describe my problem, but if I've
understood, there is no solution for the moment, maybe (confirm this to me
please!).
Until last week I was working with a Mandrake 8.1 distribution, perfectly (?)
working, after all bugs resolved with the updates during last 12 months.
My system is: Intel Celeron 1.0GHz, 128MB ram, 40+8MB HD, Samtron 50V flat
panel monitor (configured as Samsung SyncMaster 570/580 BTFT) 15'' and
VideoCard ATI RADEON 7200 64MB ram.
All games and all application were perfectly working with the "old" version
of XFree86 (4.1..... I don't remember anymore), Tuxracer, OpenUniverse and
other OpenGLized apps were really greatly working. NOW: I had the not so fine
idea to install Mandrake 8.2, coming with the new XF 4.2.0, that has also the
chance to choose a 3D support for RADEON, BUT it does not work !
I set exactly RADEON, with the 3D accel., but none of these applications
works anymore. Starting OpenUniverse from a shell,  after trying to load
required GL library in /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2, the program stops on a
"segmentation fault" error.
De-selecting 3D acceleration, the application WORKS, but
without accel (obvious) so it is un-usable. Changing settings on 3D accel=on
and reducing color depth to 65k colors (instead of 16,8 million colors/24
bit) the applications WORKS but are a little bit bad to look.
That's all. Do you think I've a problem or it is really something depending
on XF 4.2.0 not yet ready for radeon ati ?
In this case, do you think in the future XF will be able to support Radeon
like the previous release 4.1. ... ? (the "old version" was working! why
Mandrake didn't include it in new mdk8.2?!).
Thank you very much for the time you will spend for answer to me !
pier