[Newbie]setting up X for Dell M40

Dirk Deckert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> could you please help me out with the following problem?
>
> I can't setup X for my M40 Dell Notebook on a RedHat 7.2 platform. I
> have already downloaded and installed the newest NVIDIA drivers. The
> computer probes the card very well but as soon as it wants to start x an
> error occurs. When I took a look at the log file behind every resolution
> mode it says: "hsync out of range" or "vsync out of range"
> I use the 1600x1200 Dell Laptop monitor setting.

is it possible the pci hwscan fails and then all resolutions
are 'out of range' ?

if this is a new card you are adding, is there a cmos resource
that must be enabled for this new hw to work?

i think its safe to say that the pci scan must work and be happy, so i'd
focus on that failure first.

still, this is just my wag, hth, jackc...