[Newbie]Xtremely frustrated Debian newbie

--eRtJSFbw+EEWtPj3

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 07:59:42PM -0700, Adam Weston wrote:
> (Sorry in advance, this pissy post is the result of extreme frustration)
>=20
> I am a new Debian user and have been trying without success to get a=20
> working configuration for X.

There is a mailing list for folks in your situation; it is
debian-user@lists.debian.org.

> The manufacturer of the chipset on my video card provides drivers for SuS=
E,=20
> RedHat, and Mandrake. Will one of these work with Debian? (not that I hav=
e=20
> any way to download them) They are found at:=20
> http://www.powervr.com/Downloads.asp

> __/ VIDEO CARD   \___________________________________________
> |                                                             |
> | Hercules Prophet 4500 Version 7.89                          |
> |                                                             |
> | Video BIOS version:        PowerVR KYRO II Bios Rev 01.107  |

You unfortunately have been saddled with a card for which there are no
freely-licensed/open-source drivers.  This is an unfriendly attitude for
the card manufacturer to adopt, but there you go.

To my knowledge no one has attempted to package the non-free Kyro driver
for Debian.  They may even be legally prevented from doing so by the
license on this driver.

My recommendation is either to switch video cards or switch Linux
distributions.

--=20
G. Branden Robinson                |      The noble soul has reverence for
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      itself.
branden@debian.org                 |      -- Friedrich Nietzsche
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |

--eRtJSFbw+EEWtPj3

--eRtJSFbw+EEWtPj3--