[Newbie]Lazy font server?

Hi,

The xfs usually (but not all the time) doesn't display Chinese correctly
(just a mess) in my X, from here to there.

crxvt is the only place always does right job.

netscape - menu, tool bar, form's button are messy (but content text is OK)

control center - if I set Personaility/Language to Chinese/big5, next
time all of it get messy.

gvim - if I don't compile it with gtk+ GUI, the menu is messy.

('messy' means the underlying text is indeed zh_TW.Big5 but not displayed
correctly)

Environment:

    . first installed MD8.1: major lang=zh_TW.Big5 (ever problem but
      fixed)
    . now upgraded to MD8.2: major lang=en
    . manually change /etc/X11/i18n to use zh_TW.Big5

    (If I put a ~/.i18n with LANG=en_US, Netscape's menu, tool bars will
    become English and can be accepted but the form's button text
    remains messy.)

    Mentioned above, due to laziness of font server, I can not use
    Mandrake control center to change the language.

Please show me a way to get out of this nightmare!

Thanks,
best regards,
charlie