[Newbie]Pointer to brief intro of X window framework

Hi,

Since I started to work on Mandrake 8.1 and give up ms-windows, I've
been feeling confused with the framework of X.

The major problem is that X usually fails to display Chinese text
correctly - in window's title, menu, content. It's very inconsistent!

And Netscape, menu, content text and the text on form's Button look
controled by different settings! That's crazy! You may pull out all of
your hairs before fix all font display problems.

* It's crazy that I waste that much time in such basic stuff!

i18n, kde control center, man pages, documentation - all approaches have
been tried as possible. in void.

I hope I can learn more about the total mechanism around X - XFree86,
gtk+, Qt, KDE, Gnome, tk - how are they put together and work?

* Is there a brief intro of a picture of X environment?

Many thanks,
best regards,
charlie