[Newbie]Resolution problems

On Fri 07 Jun 02 13:14, you wrote:
> On Friday 7 June 2002 5:28 pm, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> > I'm running XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1.  I'm having resolution
> > problems. Maximum resolution seems to be (best guess here) 1008 x
> > 728 (those numbers may be bogus, but that's the ball park).
>
> You don't give any symptoms of what happens when you try a higher
> res.  I have a SiS 6326 and can get 1024x768, but only by tinkering
> with modelines for my monitor (this being the limiting factor).  I
> suspect your monitor is more limited in what it can display than your
> card is.  Did you get such a wierd res by tinkering? be careful; your
> card can whack out top res all day, but it's your monitor that might
> not 'handle' it.  Do you have the monitor's specs ?

I did a poor job of explaining what I was trying to say.  I didn't know
what resolution was being displayed.  I used gimp to give me an
approximate screen size.  It showed something like 1000+ x 700+.
Looking through the modelines offered it was probably 1024x768.

When I try higher resolutions nothing happens.  It defaults to
1024x768.  After checking the specs on my monitor - IBM 2235 C50 from
the IBM web site, that may be the best I can get from this monitor.  I
posted the question because when I checked the IBM web site a couple of
weeks ago I thought it stated that I could use higher resolutions than
what I"m getting.  However, looking at it now I was unable to find that
same page.

Regards,

Glen