[Newbie]Default X background

I have issues with the default wire mesh background that starts when the
Xserver is first started, (I have an LCD, and it just looks hideous, and
bounces everywhere) It would be nice if I could just make it a solid color,
but I don't know how, I'm using kdm as my display manager, if that makes a
difference, but from what I can see, that initial screen is before anything
like kdm gets started.. Is there a way to change it?