[Newbie]/mnt/usr/X11R6/lib/Server/drivers/vga256/ati/*

Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com wrote:

>Okay, you'll be quite proud of me - I took 13 minutes and in a swirl of
>mixed pleasure (relief) and pain and despair, learned that my video adapter
>(supposedly Rage 128 based; it's an ATI All-in-Wonder 16mb AGP card) is
>-not- supported by the ati driver, even though the running of `XFree86
>-configure` happily picks this driver out every time and packages it with a
>pink ribbon!  >:-(
>
>So my question -- after RTFM -- to you all oh so nice sweet folk out there
>moving electrons and neurons around is... Why do the contents of
>/mnt/usr/X11R6/lib/Server/drivers/vga256/ati/* appear to be "compile-time"
>stuff rather than ACTUAL binary drivers,

I'll take a crack at that one.  The "drivers" are actually kernel
modules that get loaded into the running kernel.  They are infact object
files, thus they end with .o as in r128.o which is the "driver" you
probably should be using for your Rage 128 based video card.

> and further, what is the path to
>THE "ati" driver, and stretching this concept even further, when I did
>RTFM, it said something about using the Mach64 driver;  What's THAT?
>Where can I procure it?  Will there ever be a land animal faster than the
>Cheetah?

The Mach64 driver was the "driver" used by XFree86 3.X for that card you
have.  If your using XFree86 4.X drivers are no longer used.  The kernel
module I refered to earlier is actually a server.  Make sure that
agpgart, another kernel module, is loaded first, before you start X, so
that the r128 module can use it.

As for Cheetahs, I wouldn't know.

Mark LaPierre