[Newbie]GUI lockups

I'm running RH7.2 w/ 128 mb RAM and a Matrox Mystique video card w/ 2 mb of
memory on a PII 350 box. Runs fine in level 3 but when in level 5 with
Gnome or KDE I get random lockups with the mouse buttons and keyboard dead.
The cursor doesn't freeze, but nothing highlights when the cursor is on it
and the buttons are dead. I can't even Ctrl+Alt+ Delete or Ctrl+Alt+
Backspace. One thing I've noticed is that it takes much longer to freeze
when I run in 8 bit color than in 16 bit. According to the Redhat hardware
compatibility list, my card is compatible w/ RH7.2, but I'm beginning to
wonder. This is the same box that I ran a highly tweaked RH6.0 on for over
a year with no problems, but that was with XFree86 3.x. RH7.2 runs XFree86
4.x and I'm wondering if it requires more video memory than I have.

Redhat support's final comments after trying to solve the problem were:

>Usually the solution for lower RAM is to use the other mode or lower bit
mode.
>If the issue still persists, we recommend posting it to bugzilla entry
because
>we already tried various solutions such as using the lowest mode, using
the old
>server, and others.  This can also be due to bug errors which our System
>Developers may assist you more.

Redhat bugzilla was less than helpfull.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bob Holtzman