[Newbie]making ATI coding ATI drivers

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Dexter Filmore wrote:

> I was at a LANparty over the weekend, so I had to quickly look over the 250 mails that got into my box in the meantime...
>
> I remember there was a discussion about ATI and NVidia and why ATI wouldn't wanna code Linux drivers.
> So maybe we could set up a mail to ATI so they notice there are ppl interested in such drivers?
> What do you think?

Bear in mind this:

    From http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/video.html#2.3.1.A.2

        A few word about ATI's TV-out:
        Currently ATI doesn't want to support any of its TV-out chips under Linux.
        Below is official answer from ATI Inc.:

        > Hello!
        >
        > On your pages you wrote that you support linux developers.
        > Currently I participate with mplayer project (www.mplayerhq.hu)
        > I'm interesting with enabling TV-out on Radeon VE chips during
        > movie playback. I would be glad to add this feature to radeonfb driver
        > (which can be found in CVS tree of mplayer project at
        > main/drivers/radeon).
        > Do I have a chance to get any official technical documenation?
        We will not provide TV out related documents due to macrovision concerns.
        Also mpeg2 decoding is something that we MAY consider in the future but not
        at this current time. This is again due to proprietary and 3rd party
        information.

So better send a thank-you note to the US entertainment industry  ;-)

Cheers,
--
Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:r.hristev@phys.canterbury.ac.nz
Computer Systems Manager